Library History

The Roslyn Public Library was founded in 1898, the first public library in Kittitas County. It was started with volunteer donations and support. Its original location was in the building on the corner of 1st and Pennsylvania,

In the early 1900's, the library moved to its current location at 201 S. First Street with all 617 books in its collection. This building originally served as the Roslyn Athletic Club, built for workers by Mr. B.F. Bush, manager of Northern Pacific's coal operation. The building featured a bowling alley and a gymnasium. The YMCA and later the Soldiers and Sailors Club occupied the building for a short ime, and then the City took over the mortgage in 1918. The building has come to be known as the Old City Hall.

The Library was housed in a small center room measuring 10 x 27 for over 60 years. In the 1970's it moved to the larger room in the southeast side of the building. In 2002, the library received computers through a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant, and the original middle room was reclaimed to make way for a computer lab for patrons and a technical services area for staff.

The City of Roslyn is in the midst of a bold Building Renovation Project to rehabilitate the Old City Hall building, which will make the building ADA accessible, rebuild and anchor the foundation, update wiring, mechanical, plumbing and heating, expand the footprint of the library across the entire front of the first floor of the building, and create a community center out of the gymnasium space. The city's administrative offices will be housed on the ground floor, along with a smaller meeting room to be used for community groups and for the City Council Chambers.

When fully complete, this unique building will serve as a true community and civic center for the City of Roslyn and its residents.

IMLS Logo
WSL-SOS Logo
Made possible with funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services
through the Washington State Library, Office of the Secretary of State.